User account administrators manage user accounts in SystemWeaver using the swAdmin2 application. The interface is described in The SystemWeaver Admin Utility Interface.
Typically, those responsible for user accounts will also manage license keys.
Note: The swAdmin2 client is the only means by which user account maintenance can be done.
Creating a New User Account
- Click the Add User icon. In the Create new user form, enter the following information:
- Username: Enter a unique username. Usernames are case-sensitive. It is possible to change the case (lower/upper) of the letters after saving as long s the name is still unique in the database. Required.
- Network id: (optional) Enter the user's network id that exists in your corporate Active Directory (AD). The user can then login without entering a password if they are already logged in to the corporate Active Directory.
- Name: Enter the user's first and last name. Recommended.
- EMail: (optional) Enter the user's email address.
- Password: (optional, if using Network id) Enter the user's desired password in the two fields provided. You can also use the Generate option. Passwords are not stored in clear text. They are stored in hashed form for added security. If users are required to use Network id (as described above) and are are not allowed to use a SystemWeaver password login, you can leave this blank.
- Require password change at first login: Check to require a password change. The purpose of this setting is to minimize possible risks caused by passwords that have been sent via email to users. It also prevents users from saving their notification emails with generated passwords since these will be become obsolete. This option can also be used on-the-fly to force a user to change a password upon next login.
- Active: This is checked by default as it is assumed the new account will be active.
- Click Create to create the account.
By default, a new user account is given Read/Write access if there are Read/Write licenses available and the account is also activated. If there are no available Read/Write licenses, a new user account will be created, but it will not be activated.
Note: User accounts should only be assigned to single individuals, i.e., SystemWeaver user accounts should only be used by a single person and the password should only be known by him/her. This is to assure user accountability and to facilitate traceability when problems occur due to user operations.
Roles, Access Rights and Groups
Once the account is created and depending on your organization's work processes, you may need to assign a role to the new user, and/or add the user to specific libraries and groups.
If needed, the new user can be assigned a role to specify their access rights. In general, most users will not be assigned a role.
Access Rights via Libraries
Once a user account is created, you need to set access rights to the library or libraries where their work structures are located.
If the user should be part of any groups, add the user account to the groups as described in Managing Groups.
Searching for and Viewing User Accounts
The Find text box enables you to search for a user. It will search against the Username, Network id, Name and E-mail fields. The Filter button (available next to each column header) allows you to filter by null values, non-null values or a specific value:
Click on a column header to sort by that column. An arrow icon will indicate if the sort is ascending or descending:
Editing an Existing User Account
To select an existing user account, double-click on its row:
The Edit user form will display and you can modify any information, e.g., check Active to activate a disabled account or updated an email address. The Generate button can be used to obtain a random password. Click Save to save your changes.