User account administrators manage user accounts in SystemWeaver using the swAdmin2 application. The interface is described in The SystemWeaver Admin Utility Interface.
Typically, those responsible for user accounts will also manage license keys.
Note: The swAdmin2 client is the only means by which user account maintenance can be done.
Creating a New User Account
- Click the Add User icon. In the Create new user form, enter the following information:
- Username: Enter a unique username. Usernames are case-sensitive, and can only contain letters (a-z, A-Z), numbers (0-9), periods (.), underscores (_), or dashes (-). It is possible to change the case (lower/upper) of the letters after saving as long as the name is still unique in the database. Required.
- Network id: (optional) Enter the user's network id that exists in your corporate Active Directory (AD). The user can then login without entering a password if they are already logged in to the corporate Active Directory.
- Name: Enter the user's first and last name. Recommended.
- EMail: (optional) Enter the user's email address.
- Password: (optional, if using Network id) Enter the user's desired password in the two fields provided (Note that you must follow any password policy that is set.) You can also use the Generate option. Passwords are not stored in clear text. They are stored in hashed form for added security. If users are required to use Network id (as described above) and are are not allowed to use a SystemWeaver password login, you can leave this blank.
- Require password change at first login: Check to require a password change. The purpose of this setting is to minimize possible risks caused by passwords that have been sent via email to users. It also prevents users from saving their notification emails with generated passwords since these will be become obsolete. This option can also be used on-the-fly to force a user to change a password upon next login.
- Status: Select the type of account. The options are Read/Write or Read-only and will depend on license availability. Users with Read-only will be assigned the Viewer role.
- Click Create to create the account.
By default, a new user account is given Read/Write access if there are Read/Write licenses available. If there are no available Read/Write licenses, a new user account can be created, but it will not be activated.
Note: User accounts should only be assigned to single individuals, i.e., SystemWeaver user accounts should only be used by a single person and the password should only be known by him/her. This is to assure user accountability and to facilitate traceability when problems occur due to user operations.
Roles, Access Rights and Groups
Once the account is created and depending on your organization's work processes, you may need to assign a role to the new user, and/or add the user to specific libraries and groups.
If needed, the new user can be assigned a role to specify their access rights. In general, most users will not be assigned a role.
Access Rights via Libraries
Once a user account is created, you need to set access rights to the library or libraries where their work structures are located.
If the user should be part of any groups, add the user account to the groups as described in Managing Groups.