The SystemWeaver Administration application, called swAdmin2, is a utility used by administrators to maintain user accounts, roles, server security settings, and licenses.
This article provides an introduction to the application. The interface consists of six menu options:
- Although any user can log in using the swAdmin2 to modify their own Name, Email, Password and obtain the Server ID, only a user with the Administrator role can maintain user accounts, roles, security and licenses.
When the administration software (swAdmin2.exe) is started, it will first display a general information page and a login form. In order to login, the user will need to enter the server name (TCP/IP address) of the SystemWeaver server, its TCP/IP port, their username and password. Click Login and the application will open to the Users screen. If there are any problems with the login, an error message will show up in red below the Login button. The user should be assigned the Administrator role for full functionality.
The Users tab is where swExplorer user accounts are managed.
The Users Toolbar
The toolbar provides the tools to edit, add, delete and batch deactivate all user accounts. You can also use the Find text box to filter and search for user accounts. To include inactive user accounts in the display, check the box provided.
The Users tab displays the following information:
- Username: A unique username. Usernames are not case-sensitive. Required.
- Network id: The user's network id that exists in your corporate Active Directory (AD). The user can then login without entering a password if they are already logged in to the corporate Active Directory. Optional.
- Name: The display name that consists of the user's first and last name. Recommended.
- E-Mail: The user's email address. Optional.
- Status: Indicates the account is active or disabled. The active options are Read/Write or Read-only (Viewer).
- Last Login: The date of the user's last login to the system. A null value indicates that the user has never logged in.
- Roles: The roles assigned to the user.
See articles under Managing Users, Groups, Roles for how to add, delete, search for and view accounts.
User roles are managed from the Roles tab. Although not required, users can be assigned a role to further define the type of access that they have. A user may have multiple roles. Most users will not have a role assigned.
On the Roles tab, the available SystemWeaver roles are listed to the left. If you select one in the list, the following information will display to the right:
- SID: The role's unique ID.
- Name: The name of the role.
- Info: Any optional information about the role that you want displayed for admin users.
- Description: This is read-only information.
- Users in role: A list of user accounts that are currently assigned to the role. A Find tool is available.
See Managing User Roles for a description of each role and how to assign and unassign roles.
The password requirements/policy and the security level of the SystemWeaver server is set on the Security tab.
There is also an option here to remove access to a number of standard swExplorer capabilities using the Path Query Language.
To find out more about all available options, see:
Users can be imported to SystemWeaver from an existing LDAP server (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) using the Import users tab.
The tab displays the following:
Path: Populated with the LDAP configuration added using the Add new LDAP configuration button.
Clear: Clears the Path.
Filter: There are 3 filtering options using the Filter button:
- Name: Enter a string to filter on the name.
- Display name: Enter a string to filter on the Display name.
- Email: Enter a string to filter on the Email.
LDAP user list: Lists the LDAP users from the provided LDAP configuration.
See Importing Users From LDAP Server for more information.
The Licenses tab is used to manage license files. The following information is readily available at the top of the page:
Total available licenses: Number of currently available licenses of type "Read/Write" and "Read".
Activated users: Number of enabled users (using a license). These are the accounts marked as "Active".
Remaining licenses: Number of remaining licenses that exist and are available for use.
Find out more about license types.
The table displayed below the license information lists the current licenses.
Note: If the Expiration date has passed, the license count associated with that License id will not be counted.
See Managing Licenses for how to retrieve your Server Id and add and delete licenses.
This screen is read-only and displays a list of user accounts with a current session. You can click on the column headers to modify the sort. Click Refresh to update.
To find out more about the information displayed on this tab, see Viewing User Activity and Usage Statistics.
Note: In version R33 or earlier, entries with missing information for Username and Name are failed connections, e.g., due to wrong password, etc., that are hung. A server restart will clear them.