User account administrators manage role assignments in SystemWeaver using the swAdmin2 application. The interface is described in The SystemWeaver Admin Utility Interface.
SystemWeaver roles are pre-defined and it is not mandatory for a user to be assigned a role. In fact, most users will not be assigned a role unless they require more or less access rights than a standard user.
The following roles are available:
- Administrator [SID=ADM]: Users can create and modify user accounts and assign Roles. Should normally only be assigned to a user responsible for managing the roles of the user organization so that he knows when users are assigned to new positions or leave the organization. Administrators are also manage the application licenses since the license agreement for SystemWeaver may be based on the number of user accounts.
- SW Architect [SID=SWAR]: Users can modify the meta model in SystemWeaver. Only users having a indepth understanding of SystemWeaver in general and the specific meta model in particular should be assigned this role.
- Root [SID=ROOT]: Users have Change rights to all items and libraries. This role should be used restrictively and only be assigned to special, dedicated user accounts used when assigning access rights and resolving access rights problems.
- Viewer [SID=VIEW]: Users can only view items (Read rights) and cannot make any changes. This role should be used for users who never need to edit any information but need to read the information.
Tip: If possible, assign the Administrator role to several users in order to minimize the dependency on a single person. Also, it is preferred to use special user accounts for the Root and Administrator. The reason is that a user in a developer role may make mistakes if he/she has these rights.
Assigning a Role
- To assign a user to a role, select the role on the left and click Add user. The Select users dialog will display:
- Select the user you want to assign the role to and click OK. (You can use the Find text box at the top to assist in finding a user. Check the Include inactive users box to include inactive accounts in the list.)
Unassigning a Role
- To unassign a user to a role, select the role on the left.
- Then, in the Users in role list, select the user you wish to remove and click Remove user. To assist in finding the user to remove, click on one of the column headers to Sort.