The database version identifies the version of the internal database schema used by SystemWeaver. Each server version normally works with exactly one database version. Although not frequently, we do sometimes update the database version with a new SystemWeaver release. You will be informed of this as part of your upgrade delivery. This article describes how to update the database version.
- Database Backup
- Sole Access to the Database
- Selecting the Database
- Verifying Current Database Version
- Updating the Version
- Updating Mirror Server Files
- The SystemWeaver server is stopped.
- Sole access to the database during update.
- A backup copy of the database should a rollback be required.
- Server and database compatible version of the swDatabaseManager tool
|Note for MS SQL: In the User and Password fields, you must enter the credentials of an account that has sufficient db permissions to the MS SQL database in order to update the database version. If the Windows domain account you are using has sufficient permissions to the MS SQL database, you can leave the fields blank.
- We strongly recommend that the database update be executed on the same local drive as the database to avoid latency and the possibility of connection problems during the update.
|The swDatabaseManager application is not for general distribution and should only be used by an authorized system administrator.
Sole Access to the Database
As noted in the Prerequisites, prior to getting started with the update, you will want to stop all servers, e.g., mirror server, slave server, main server, etc. (see ) and clients. In other words, there should be no active sessions via swExplorer, swAdmin2, swArchitect clients nor the API. Once all servers are stopped and you have verified that there are no active sessions, proceed with the below steps.
In the Server directory, open the swDatabaseManager application. As recommended above, we strongly suggest that the tool be on the same local drive as the database.
Selecting the Database
On the Database tab, select the Type of database you are using and enter the database information in Select database.
|The TNS alias of the Oracle server. Refer to Oracle documentation for details on TNS.
|MS SQL Server
Verifying Current Database Version
Next, click Display info to confirm the current version of your database. The version will display in the log window to the right. In the below example, the database version is 1.42.
Updating the Version
When you are ready, click the Update v1.4X to v1.4X button as instructed in your upgrade delivery information. The version of the database that you selected has now been updated. The update will be confirmed in the log window.
|Note: If for some reason you need to restart the Update operation, close the application in between update attempts.
Close the application.
Updating Mirror Server Files
If running a mirror server:
- Journaling must be cleared and re-initialized. Previous swjournal files cannot be used.
- New mirror cache files must be created. Previous cache files cannot be used.