This article describes the two license types to assist in determining license needs. These license types apply to all clients, i.e., our provided client applications, e.g., swExplorer, as well as all API applications, all of which utilize the SystemWeaver Client API to connect to the server.
Read-Only vs Read/Write Licenses
There are two types of SystemWeaver licenses for an activated account - Read/Write and Read-only.
Read/Write License (Full)
- Allows a user to read/write/add/delete all items to which they have access rights (via Libraries)
- Users with no role assigned and with a full license have read/write/add/delete to all items to which they have access rights
- Allows a user to view all items to which they have access rights (via Libraries and Security level)
- No edits are allowed in any way including the uploading of attachments
- Read users receive the "Viewer" role
|Note: Access to issues in Projects is handled separately via each project. For example, a user can have only read access to Items, but be given write access to issues in a project.|
Managing License Needs
If you have both Read/Write AND Read licenses available on a license key, you can change a user from having Read/Write access to having Read-only access (and vice versa) if there is an available license of the type that you need.
Note: If you assign the Viewer" role to a user and have 0 Read-only licenses available, but do have 1 or more Read/Write licenses available, the user will utilize one of the Read/Write licenses even though they have the "Viewer" role.
If you need to purchase additional licenses or want to find out more about the license types, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
User Account Administrators
The swAdmin2.exe client is used by Administrators to maintain user accounts, roles, and licenses. Modifying account data in the database requires a Read/Write license.