The CreateTestPlan extension view is designed to support the scenario where Test Specifications contain Test Cases or Test Scripts that can have parameters that need to have their values specified before the actual tests are performed. This article describes how to use this extension view.
- The SWExtension.CreateTestPlan extension file is located in the Client's swExplorerExtensions directory
- An Architect has activated and configured the view in Configure the explorer
- The Test meta model is included in the database
Note: The view can also be used to create variants of Test Specification without defining any parameter values.
Loading the View
When a Test Suite, Test Scope or Test Specification item is selected in the structure tree, the menu option for the view will be available on the Items ribbon.
The Ribbon group, icon and button text is configurable so the names used in this example may differ from the ones used in your local database installation. In this example, we have named the menu option "Create Test Spec with values" and placed it in the "Test" Ribbon group:
Creating Test Specifications
The Create Test Plan workflow is divided into six steps as described below. Since the view is configurable, the example below may not identically match the view in use in your system.
- Select the test cases: The first pane farthest to the left shows the Test Specifications and Test Cases below the selected Item in the structure tree. Select the Test Cases to be included in the resulting Test Specification with defined Parameter Values.
- Enter parameter values: The second pane shows the parameters that have been defined for the selected Test Cases. Define the parameter value sets that shall be used. Any number of value sets can be used. To add a value set, click the Add parameter set button. This step is optional and can be configured not to be shown depending on the use case.
- Preview: Click the Preview button to see how the end result will be. Remove Test Cases with parameters that are not relevant.
- Choose Test System: Select the rig to be used. This step is optional and can be configured not to be shown depending on the use case.
- Choose System Under Test: Select the system being tested. This step is optional and can be configured not to be shown depending on the use case.
- Set the Name pattern for the new Test Specifications and select the Library where to store the new Test Specification. Click Create to create the resulting Test Specifications. The new structure will be opened in a new tab.