You can use the Import from XML tool to create items and item structures out of a SystemWeaver XML file. The method of matching objects in an import file with current objects in the database used with this option looks for objects in a specific library. This tool is typically used when exporting data from one database and importing into another database.
- On the Items tab, click on the New item drop-down and select Import from XML.
- An Import item page displays.
- In the File field, use the browsebutton to open the Windows Open file dialog where you navigate to and select the XML file.
- In the Filter (from configs) drop-down, you must chose the configuration that you want to use to perform filtering and transformation operations during the import. The options presented are configured by an Architect user (see Configure XML import in the Help).
Note: if there are no custom configurations available, the default option called "XML Import" can be selected which uses the system default settings as a starting point.
- Select any of the following options:
- If the Match items in import library box is checked, the import will not be a "pure" import, but will also try to match the imported item with those in the library specified according to the Choose Access (library where the item is stored) selection and possibly update matching items rather than creating new. It will also use the matching for creating the appropriate version chains. This matching is equivalent to the matching done when using the XML Import view to update a selected structure, but can potentially include many item structures while the XML Import view only updates the item structure selected in the structure tree.
- If the Import owner to attribute box is checked, the owner property of the imported items will be imported as a string attribute.
- If the Import version numbers box is checked, version numbers will be according to the one in the XML file, rather than sequential in the target database.
- Db Sync(Preview) is still in development, and will be the default way of keeping data in different SystemWeaver databases in sync. It is supposed to have a slightly different approach to versioning to minimize the impact of updates to released data, which can happen in multiple use cases including changes to the export/import configurations.
- If the Check for description changes box is checked, descriptions will be checked for changes. If there are changes to the description of a released item, the result will be to force a new version.
- Click Import. When the import is performed, the page will automatically be replaced by an Edit item page of the "top item*" in the import.
For additional information, refer to the application Help or other articles on the portal.
* The "Top item" is according to the <ExportedItem> element of the SystemWeaver XML file. Note that the XML file can potentially include many separate item structures, and these will not be seen in the structure tree. To examine all such imported structures, search in the target library of the import.