The Clone item view enables users to clone a structure as a way of creating a new one and can be configured to support specific use cases. One example is Configuring a Menu Option for Document Cloning. Having a proper configuration in place can prevent mistakes by users performing the clone operation.
Note: With the R28 release, this view requires configuration. It will not be available to users without it.
Configuring the View
<Configs> <Config id="Id1"> <ViewSettings> <Caption>Letter</Caption> <RibbonGroup>Templates</RibbonGroup> <Description>Hint shown in the ribbon</Description> </ViewSettings> <TopItemType>7PRA</TopItemType> <IsEditable>False</IsEditable> <TraceTopPartType>PPP</TraceTopPartType> <CloneParts> <Part sid="6PRR" action="clone" traceparttype="QQQ"> <Include>@ABAN="include"</Include> </Part> <Part sid="6REQA" action="include"> <Ignore>1=1</Ignore> </Part> <Part sid="ITLD" action="include"/> <Part sid="ADES" action="clone"/> <Part sid="7ICU" action="clone"/> </CloneParts> <Transformations> <Part old="ADCF">DFRE</Part> <Part old="UGFS">SSRE</Part> <Item old="ADC">DFRE</Item> <NamePattern old="Template_%">Copy_%</NamePattern> <IgnoreAttribute>GDS</IgnoreAttribute> <IgnoreDescription>GDSS</IgnoreDescription> <IgnoreNonDefaultAttributes/> </Transformations> </Config> </Configs>
Explanation of the Configuration Elements
<Caption>: The name of the view. This will appear on the Items ribbon tab as a one-click option for users to use this view.
<RibbonGroup>: Enter a name (existing or new) for the ribbon group where the new view option button will appear.
<Description>: The optional hovertip that displays for the menu option on the Items ribbon.
<TopItemType>: The SID for the item type for which this view will apply, i.e., be available.
<IsEditable>: Defines if the configured settings can be edited or not. Applies to the Part selections.
<TraceTopPartType>: (Optional). The SID to be used to link the new item to the original item. This part will be created when the new item is created.
<CloneParts>: Specify how parts in the part structure should be treated:
- Each <Part> element specifies how part types of the parts should be treated, with optional conditions.
- The sid attribute specifies the part type of the parts to be treated.
- The action attribute (include/clone) specifies the default action according to the part type.
- 'include' means that the original item included as parts of the specified type will be included (as-is) in the cloned structure without being cloned. Note that naturally no part of an included item can be cloned since the entire part structure of the included item will be retained.
- 'clone' means that the original item will in fact be cloned.
- The optional sub-elements <Include> and <Ignore> define alternative actions, with conditions specified as an included path expression that must evaluate to either false or true. <Ignore> can be an alternative action to both 'include' and 'clone' actions, while <Include> is only a meaningful alternative to 'clone' actions.
Part types that are not covered by any Part tag will be ignored by the clone operation, i.e., neither cloned or included.
<Transformations>: Specify additional transformations to cloned items:
- Optional <Part> elements change the part type of a cloned part, from the original type as specified by the old attribute, to the one specified by the included string.
- Optional <Item> elements change the part type of a cloned item in the same way.
- Optional <Attribute> elements change the item attribute type of a cloned item in the same way.
- The optional <NamePattern> element can modify the cloned item name.
- The old attribute specifies the pattern of the name of the cloned item. The "%" wildcard character specifies a part of the original name, which can be used as part of the new name. Any additional characters specified before or after the % must be found in the original name. If no match can be found, the cloned item will retain the original name.
- Optional <IgnoreAttribute> elements mean that cloned items will get empty attributes, for attribute types according to the included SID string.
- Optional <IgnoreDescriptions> elements mean that cloned items will get an empty Description, for item types matching the included SID string.
- The optional <IgnoreNonDefaultAttributes> means that any non-default attribute in the original item structure will not be included in cloned items.